Spin the wheel
Pangiallo laziale (Italian Christmas cakes)
- 100g walnuts
- 100g almonds, peeled
- 100g hazelnuts, toasted
- 200g raisins
- 200g dried prunes (or dried figs or apricots or a mix of the 3), chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- ground cinnamon, to taste
- 30g glace orange rind, chopped
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g plain flour or 00 flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Fan 160 / Gas 4. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a bowl place all the nuts, dried fruit, marmalade, cinnamon, glace orange rind, chopped and sugar. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in wine and oil and stir. Then stir in the flour and mix to get a sticky dough. The flour will work as a glue, so add more if the mix still falls apart.
- With wet hands shape 8 logs similar in size. Transfer to the baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, cool and serve.