Spin the wheel
- 1 thick catfish fillet (approximately 225g or 1/2 lb)
- 60g (2 oz) gram flour
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/2 tsp ajwain seeds (optional)
- chilli powder - to taste
- 125ml (4 fl oz) water
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 - 3 green chillies, finely diced (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ginger ground
- oil for frying
- Cut the catfish into 2.5cm (1 in) cubes, lightly salt and set aside.
- In a bowl mix all the other ingredients except the oil and water. Add the water into the mix and mix until it is a thick batter (almost like a cake mixture consistency).
- Heat the oil in a pan till it is hot - but not smoking hot. Keep the temperature around 180 degrees C (if you have a deep fat fryer so much the better).
- Mix the fish into the batter, then drop the pieces one by one into the oil. Make sure the pieces are coated well.
- Fry until golden on both sides, remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot with chutney or pickle or slices of onions. You can substitute small diced chicken or vegetables for the catfish as well.