Barbecued fennel with black olive dressing
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced lengthways into 1cm-thick pieces Fennel bulbLike Marmite, fennel is something that you either love or hate - its strong aniseed flavourâ€¦
- 1Â½ tbsp olive oil Olive oil ol-iv oylProbably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It'sâ€¦
- 2 tbsp finely chopped black Kalamata olive Olive ol-liv Widely grown all over the Mediterranean, where they've been cultivated since biblical timesâ€¦
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice 1 lemon Lemon le-monOval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruitsâ€¦
- small handful each parsley and basil, finely chopped Parsley par-sleeOne of the most ubiquitous herbs in British cookery, parsley is also popular in European andâ€¦
- Heat a BBQ or griddle pan. Toss the fennel in 1 tbsp of the oil, coating well. Cook for 5 mins on each side until golden brown and charred.
- To make the dressing, put the olives, garlic, lemon juice and remaining oil in a bowl. Add the chopped herbs and combine. Lay the fennel on a platter and pour over the dressing. Eat warm or at room temperature.