Spin the wheel
Family friendly fish pie
- 500g white fish (haddock, cod, plaice, etc.)
- 600ml milk
- 6 to 8 large potatoes
- pinch salt
- 50g butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100g grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Fan 180 C / Gas mark 5. Place the fish in an oven-proof dish and cover with the milk. Bake in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, and boil with a pinch of salt until soft.
- When the fish is done drain the milk into a jug and put aside. Flake the fish with a fork and leave in the dish.
- Once potatoes are done, drain, then add 30g of the butter and a splash of the reserved milk and mash.
- In another saucepan melt the remaining 20g of butter on a medium heat and slowly add the flour stirring constantly until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, until you get a sauce-like consistency.
- Add the parsley and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add the sauce to the flaked fish and mix well. Top with the mashed potato and spread evenly. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the potato topping.
- Place back in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.